Thursday 15 March 2012

Self promotion critique

Merion Pritchard – Wallpaper magazine art director – gave a talk today and then kindly stayed behind to help critique with all of the other lecturers. The idea was that all of the students were to send out their self-promotion brief to 5 art directors, and then a 6th one to Jonny Hannah. It was a test to see how our worked survived in the mail.

Jonny took all of the post that he had received and piled it onto a table – it looked realistic to how it would on an art director’s desk. The ‘letters’ that stood out to a lecturer was the one they picked. It was incredibly nerve wracking; my work of course was at the bottom of the pile and upside down.

As I sat there I made a mental note to digitally print something on the back next time as the plain white looked so boring and dull. Eventually Louise chose my piece, and I’m sad to say that the bag looked really beaten up in the mail, the bunting looked like it was fine inside the bag though – phew.

Once the bunting was opened out, it received positive comments from the lecturers and Merion content wise, although they all agreed that I neede to find a better way to package it, and that the size might be an issue. Most people don’t have that much space on their work desk so smaller would have been better – they did say that the idea as a whole worked. I am pleased and relieved! And I have to say I agree with every comment that was made, and look forward to reworking the idea with all the feedback in mind.


Unfortunately, I forgot to take ANY photos of the bunting I sent in the post - I can assure you that I did send it. Obviously in my haste to get it sent on time I didn't take one single photo. 


I do however have an example of it digitally printed:





No comments:

Post a Comment