Friday 17 February 2012

Carolyn Gowdy makes a visit

Today we had a guest lecture from old time illustrator Carolyn Gowdy. She was described to me as the 'Queen of illustration' by a lecturer who urged me to go and see her work. Her talk was really quite good, she has had such an interesting career and life and although some of her images were not to my taste she did have amazing stories to tell along side them about her career as an artist.



Image from: http://www.reactorart.com/blog/?tag=carolyn-gowdy


The one thing I did like about her talk, was when she spoke about how she set up a portrait area by work she had at a fair. I liked the impromptu feel about the images, and how every piece was hot off the press, the person being drawn also got to see how she worked as an artist, which I thought was really intriguing, especially as it added extra pressure due to the time limit she had and the environment she was working in.


Image from: http://www.reactorart.com/blog/?p=2491

No comments:

Post a Comment