Thursday 3 May 2012

Titanic portraits trigger hope

I have been researching a lot about Edwardian/Victorian traditions this week, and feel really drawn to it. It started with me drawing this image of Virginia and her husband:


I really liked drawing a 'photograph'. I feel that because Woolf was middle class she would of had the money and luxury to have portraits taken, it also seems like something that would have been out of her comfort zone, she often hated looking someone in the eye if she didn't know them, and became embarrassed easily. This has led to more drawing and investigation of putting her in scenarios that she probably wouldn't have liked.





For this image, I placed a book light underneath the paper to see what it looked like, and to my pleasant surprise, it looked like a glowing heart. This looks aesthetically pleasing but also links to her great spirit, although she had a weak heart and was often incredibly ill, she still continued to plough on with her writing and inspiring other people. Virginia was also a fierce feminist that believed in women's rights (obviously) and during the war took to writing addresses on letters for a feminist group.





I then found this image while watching an 80's documentary on Titanic, it wasn't any relation to my project, I simply got swept up in the Titanic fever that everyone seemed to have. This is only a few seconds of the documentary but it shows two cabin crew, instantly I loved the design of the picture. After seeing this I dug out some old Butterick paper dress patterns and drew circles onto it:


It inspired me to draw further, perhaps including some of her favourite objects or some facts I have found about her:



















No comments:

Post a Comment