Monday 6 February 2012

Reading List

For the FMP I have decided to read three titles by three different authors: Sylvia Plath(The Bell Jar), Elizabeth Smart (By Grand Central Station I sat Down and Wept) and Virginia Woolf (To the Lighthouse).
I was drawn to these particular authors because I feel they have all shared interesting lives, which has included suffering at some points (Plath committed suicide as did Woolf. Smart had an affair with a married man, bearing four of his children).
I would like to learn more about them and hopefully, produce drawings that will showcase different elements of the author’s lives, and intend on underlining the low and high points with in-depth research.
Addressing the sadder aspects of their lives is important, I am however reluctant to dwell on these points feeling that the authors are celebrated for their poignant work. It will be interesting to see which qualities I end up leaning towards, the personal life of the author or plucking imagery from the text.

The first book I have started reading is 'To the Lighthouse" by Virginia Woolf, I have started making notes to myself for if something jumps out at me whilst reading so I can refer back to points that have interested me. 


The Bell Jar

By Grand Central Station I Sat and Wept
To the Lighthouse
After the Introduction by Hermione Lee the book shows the original
 title cover in the first edition of  the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment