Monday 30 January 2012

Presentation document contents

I have decided to use this blog as a way of documenting my final major project, I feel that physically making a diary will hinder my project making me fall behind. The presentation document will act as a guide to help me process thoughts, ideas and influences during the last project I undertake in further education. I hope this will help me to think about my project and to assess what I will have achieved and what I want to explore further.

For the whole of this unit I will need to have a combination of: Studio work, this presentation document and a self promotion brief.

Reflection on last project:

For my last project (narrative) I chose a subject that I felt was close to me, the lecturers encouraged pursuing something that was of great interest to us, so I went for the theme of "The A-Z of Kate Bush".

Obviously 27 images over the span of 8 weeks was slightly over ambitious, so I instead decided on my version of an A-Z of Kate Bush using only the letters of her name. I knew early on I wanted to do a book so I set upon making images on the musician.
Initially 'research' seemed easy and fun, I enjoyed listening to her music - I always had, and looking into song lyrics, but after a while I soon realised that Kate Bush - although an eccentric performer and singer - leads a very private personal life, so I struggled trying to find new information that I didn't already know about her, and what ultimately the person who viewed my work would know about her. Now with this hindsight, I would of extended 'fact' and made it a homage to her rather than a factual A-Z, I think by doing that I would have had much more interesting images - something to keep in mind for this upcoming project!

The method of application I chose was to screen print my book, I found that after days spent in the printing room making the images via screen print, I wasn't quite happy with the final outcome. I decided to digitally print the book and edit the screen printed images. Now looking back on this decision I wish I had kept to the original prints but I felt at the time that it was an improvement on what I had already done.

Both Jonny and Pete mentioned at my critique that they much preferred my screen prints, and that maybe I should of used different paper to screen print onto - a tip I will be taking forward as I now dislike the digital book!
I think what I have learned from the previous project is valuable. Although I researched the subject as best I felt I could, I didn't then move on and try a different avenue when I became stuck on what to make images from. Unfortunately I think the project didn't go deeper than the surface level and for that reason I shall try my hardest not to make the same mistake and back myself into a corner when trouble arises.



Finished Kate Bush book


No comments:

Post a Comment