Friday 23 March 2012

Forgetting about to the lighthouse



After struggling with reading to the lighthouse by Virginia Woolf I have decided to change direction with my project. The book is one that I haven't ever read before, so I set myself with a difficult task straight away. If I had chosen a book I knew well, and loved I would have had certain imagery in my head about characters and scenes. I think that was a reason why I wanted to do a book I hadn't ever read, it was a challenge and one I'm afraid to say that I have stepped away from.

For the last few weeks have not been able to engage with the text at all, I'm not sure why, maybe because I felt that the book was going to be about an actual lighthouse, instead it although interesting follows the Ramsey family, it is not a dialogue and story line I feel connected too.

I have thought of different revenues to go down, a complete change in direction, a different subject to concentrate on. However, after a great deal of worrying and desperate thinking, I have decided that I chose to the lighthouse for a reason - that being my interest in Virginia Woolf as a person and author, why not shift my focus from her novel to her as a person. As soon I decided this I felt a weight lift from me, Virginia Woolf lead an incredibly interesting life full of turmoil and sadness, and I feel that focusing on her as a person will help center my project.

I now feel that I can engage with project once again, for a while it has felt like dragging a dead weight. I know feel that I can move on and progress through my project, this makes me feel so much better! So, onwards and upwards.




No comments:

Post a Comment